Any serious blogger will tell you that promoting your blog is vital to making blogging successful, meaningful and fun. We all blog to reach out to people, and the only way to reach people is by sharing what you have to offer. Social media makes this incredibly easy. But there are some clearly effective ways to promote a blog, and there are plenty of things to avoid. Follow these tips to avoid the 5 most common things to avoid when promoting your blog:
- Do not promote during off-peak hours. Online visitors follow a very regular pattern of peak hours. Lunch time, around 11am, is a very popular time to browse the Internet. 3pm tends to be another time of heavy traffic. It’s when kids are getting home from school and the web surfing begins. And 7pm, right after adults get home from work and have eaten dinner, is perhaps the best time to promote your blog. People will be online during these times. Do not waste your time, energy and money on promoting at any point before 8am or after 9pm. Stick to promoting at those times that are known for high traffic.
- Do not neglect your blog. You may get so carried away with promoting your blog that you forget to update the actual blog. Keep new and relevant blog posts up during periods of heavy promotion. Your advertisements may draw interest, but visitors will shy away from any blog that does not have a recent post or any posts that interest them.
- Do not be shy. Your friends and family may be your biggest promoters. So add your blog address to your email signature, Facebook info, business card and Christmas card. Your relatives and close friends will do a lot of free promoting for you, without even having to be asked. Just make the information readily available to them.
- Do not forget that there are other blogs out there. Commenting on other blogs and forums will get you noticed by the online world. The great thing about blogs and forums is that you always have the option to either link your name to your blog’s website or add the link to your signature. Do this and then get out there and start adding your opinions. Befriending a popular blogger can be the key to the perfect free promoter. Blogging is just like any other job, and networking is a big part of it.
- Do not post the same ad repeatedly. You do not want your advertisement to look like spam. Make it personal by adding fun, creative and unique every single time that you post something to promote your blog. It is fine to post the same ad on your Twitter, Facebook and MySpace, but you do not want to post the same exact ad repeatedly on the same page.
Blogging is exciting when you are first starting out. It will only get better as you gain more visitors, and you will be surprised how many visitors that you will get overnight as long as you keep these 5 tips in mind.
Which of the tips above will you apply in your blogging this week?
Dan is a blogger with a background in social media marketing. He is also a contributing writer for a Web hosting review company. You can see more about it here.